[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3 3.0.0 alpha 1 released

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at awkly.org
Thu May 20 09:35:12 EDT 2004

| > connection to RDBMS architecture seems like mostly the
| > same as Z2 (it's crappy in general)
|
| Here you offend me directly as I have made the initial design decisions on the
| RDB connection code. The Zope 2 version is not at all crappy! It has very
| good concepts on which we have built on. Many long-time Zope 2 users were
| involved in the design. We have corrected the things that the Zope 2 version
| got wrong and replaced it with something better, like unified and
| standardized connection strings.

... And you can still use something else if you dont like it. We, for
a fact, used just the connectors and the transaction
registration. Everything else is handled by SQLObject. Meaning near
*zero* custom SQL written.

| > neither ZMI
|
| Huh? We clearly have a ZMI. It is not polished, but that's a goal for later
| releases. Currently there are no UI people helping out and we do not want to
| make it pretty the wrong way.

And even then, I consider it better than z2's.

| > (I don't think e.g. Plone guys  will re-write from the scratch its twice
| > bigger monster than Zope)?
|
| You are totally mis- or uninformed. I have talked to Alan already about Plone
| 3, which will be a rewrite. There are already plans emerging to develop Plone
| 3.

I can confirm that.

| > > 1. Zope 3 will definitely not die. Too many people have invested too much
| > > in it. Also, it is used in commercial projects already.
| >
| > Strange. Really strange. This could be two things:
| >   a) Projects are not so serious (can be down, might crash, no support
| > etc).
|
| Of course these are not *huge* installations, but they are serious. Ask Steve,
| he did a project using Zope 3. Also ZC and Sidnei did use it already in
| critical projects. Do not make statements that are not true.

Yes. Its a pretty critical application we are using Z3 for here. And
I tell ya: we wouldn't have done the same with Z2 in 4x the time we
took to build it.

--
Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at awkly.org>
http://awkly.org - dreamcatching :: making your dreams come true