[Zope3-dev] Re: functional_tests

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Wed May 26 11:38:57 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> The files in the functional_tests look very intriguing. Are these
>> being used?
>

> No, They really should be deleted for now.
>
>> Is there a future for these types of tests in X3?
>

> Yes. See: http://cvs.zope.org/Packages/FunctionalTests/
>
> This is a function test framework that uses tcpwatch,
> http://cvs.zope.org/Packages/tcpwatch/, to record web interactions
> and play them back for testing.
>
> The main differences from ftests:
>
> - Use of tcpwatch to record requests.  It would be very nice
>   to write something that coverted a tcpwatch log to ftests.

I would think it desireable to hookup tcpwatch test files (not sure what
these look like) in the same way we hook up doctests. E.g.

   ftests.py
   ---------
   def test_suite():
       return TcpWatchSuite(some.package, 'sometest.tcpw')

Is this what you mean by converting them to ftest?

> = Testing is totally external. The test process is outside
>   the Zope process. This has advantages and disadvantages.
>   They test the enitre system, while ftests bypass the server.
>   On the other hand, these functional tests are far harder to run.

My vote would be to run such tests on the temporary zodb/environment
created by the ftest framework. I view 'external testing' as application
specific.

  -- Garrett