[Zope3-dev] SVN problem since sunday

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Nov 1 10:43:16 EST 2004

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Jim Fulton]
>
>>I just tried and had no difficulty.  Could y'all be more specific
>>about the problems you had?  Wanna try now?
>

> See earlier email about my experience.
>
> It's hard to be specific when using TortioseSVN:  virtually any
> problem anywere in the chain is reported via a popup box with the
> useless "Connection closed unexpectedly" msg.  So (Roger), cmdline svn
> is much more useful when you're having problems.
>
> BTW, pointing a web browser at svn.zope.org just now gave
>
> An Exception Has Occurred
> Python Traceback
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/viewcvs-1.0-dev/lib/viewcvs.py", line 3194, in main
>     request.run_viewcvs()
>   File "/usr/local/viewcvs-1.0-dev/lib/viewcvs.py", line 264, in run_viewcvs
>     self.rootpath, rev)
>   File "/usr/local/viewcvs-1.0-dev/lib/vclib/svn/__init__.py", line
> 327, in __init__
>     self.youngest = fs.youngest_rev(self.fs_ptr, self.pool)
> SubversionException: ('Berkeley DB error while getting youngest
> revision (finding last entry) for filesystem
> /svn/repos/main/db:\nCannot allocate memory', 160029)
>
> I think we've had enough Berkeley Denial Syndrome for one day <wink>.

I think the system is under some sort of intermittent stress.

The database finally did get hosed, as you reported. In recovering,
I killed a fairly large number of hung and old subversion "server"
processes. (These "server" processes are normally very short lived and
are created per client connection.) Soe of these were a week or more old.
Perhaps cleaning these up will fix the problem.