[Zope3-dev] Re: Apache rewrite rules and URLs: an experiment

Peter Mayne PeterMayne at ap.spherion.com
Thu Nov 4 18:38:31 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> This (utf-8 encoding and then url-encoding) is specified in
>>> an RFC (somewhere :).
>>

>> Actually it doesn't specify that utf-8 has to be used, it's only a
>> recommendation. Although a good recommendation.
>

> I'm 97% sure I saw something that said utf-8.  It doesn't matter,
> I'm fairly sure that that is what modern browsers do in practice.

RFC 2718 - Guidelines for new URL Schemes

2.2.5 Character encoding

       When describing URL schemes in which (some of) the elements of the
       URL are actually representations of sequences of characters, care
       should be taken not to introduce unnecessary variety in the ways
       in which characters are encoded into octets and then into URL
       characters.  Unless there is some compelling reason for a
       particular scheme to do otherwise, translating character sequences
       into UTF-8 (RFC 2279) [3] and then subsequently using the %HH
       encoding for unsafe octets is recommended.

I couldn't find anything that specifically says HTTP uses UTF-8. The
closest mention I found is at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.1>.

PJDM
--