[Zope3-dev] Re: Brainstorming page architecture, pagelets, portlets, etc.

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Mon Nov 8 18:11:15 EST 2004

Tonico Strasser wrote:
> Jim Fulton schrieb:
>
>> Tonico Strasser wrote:

>>> * Portal-page design
>>>
>>> Just a comment on the term "portal". Most Web sites are not portals.
>>> The CMF does prefix its tools with 'portal_' where 'site_' would be
>>> better IMHO. I'm not sure if portal functionality is worth the
>>> complexity it might add to the framework.
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=define:portal
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_portal
>>

>> Well, one of the definitions abobe includes a portal
>> into an intranet.  Many Zope sites provide that role.
>> They act as portals into some community.
>>
>> I'm open to using a different term.  I'd hate to use a term
>> like "page that contains portlets". :)
>

> I'm not against using the term portal and portlets in the context of a
> portal. I wanted to point out that people often use portal while they
> mean site.

Just for clarity:  the 'portal_' prefix for CMF tools dates back to its
prior incarnation as the "Portal Toolkit", which was focused on the idea
of a "community portal" site.  Renaming things would have involved
writing migration code, which is somewhere down near "writing user docs"
and "thinking about security" in most programmer's list of favorite tasks.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com