[Zope3-dev]

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Nov 9 13:50:24 EST 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:35:10AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Paul Winkler wrote:

>>>Hmm.  "page" and "pagelet"?
>>
>>Yes, we are using those terms, but we have an intuition that
>>pagelets and portlets are different, although portlets
>>may be special kinds of pagelets.
>

> Whoops, we're talking past each other - I didn't see
> "pagelet" anywhere in the proposal,

No, because the draft proposal is currently focussed on the problem
to be solved.

 > so I was making a
> suggestion (phrased as a question) - use "page" and
> "pagelet" as generic alternatives to "portal page" and "portlet".
> I completely missed that "pagelet" already appears in this thread's subject,
> so of course you read my message as a rather vague question :-)

Not at all.

> On reflection, "page" is much too ambiguous for what we're talking
> about. It could mean any of:
>
> * Page: a composite object that uses zero or more pagelets.
>
> * Page: an atomic content object that has nothing to do with pagelets.
>   Something like CMF's "Document".

I think this is especially relevent to portlets.

> * page: an informal term for anything the end user experiences as
>   a 'web page'" regardless of the type or number of objects responsible
>   for creating it.

I see all 3 as relevent.

> The first is what we need a name for.  The best I can think of now is
> "Composite Page".  Which isn't too bad really.
> And apparently it's the best name Shane could think of too :-)

For me, the scope is broader than that.  Uptimately, the goal is to
produce pages that end users see.  I see composition at various levels.
For example, I'm *finally* understanding how poorly our page-macro
system works.  When a developer defines a page as a view of some
object, they shouldn't have to say how the page is wrapped with the
site look and feel. That should be the concern of someone else.
There should be a mechanism for "composing" these pages with the site
look at feel.