[Zope3-dev] Distributing Zope as a ZIP file

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Wed Nov 10 13:11:22 EST 2004

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> Is it possible to distribute the Zope files needed for an
>> application in a single ZIP file?
>>
>> I'm running into a problem with the natively compiled libraries,
>> which are assumed to reside in the nested package hierarchy. AFAIK,
>> native libraries can't live in ZIP files.
>
> If you mean PKZip, sure they can.

Aren't PYDs just shared libraries? I'm not aware that Windows knows how
to loaded libraries from a ZIP file?

The native libs are named to be stored in a flat directory (e.g.
_zope_proxy_proxy.pyd). But the Zope code assumes they're in the package
hierarchy. I could see something like this:

  try:
      from zope.proxy._zope_proxy_proxy import *
  except ImportError:
      from _zope_proxy_proxy import *

I don't know if this is a standard pattern or just a hack.

 -- Garrett