[Zope3-dev] Re: Brainstorming page architecture, pagelets, portlets, etc.

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 11 07:52:13 EST 2004

Tonico Strasser wrote:

> Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>
>> - for the styling, have a pluggable interface to let the layout
>> renderer write CSS class names and let portlets, pagelet register
>> their own CSS styles (that should be done through a renderCSS()
>> method, not through a flat CSS document)
>

> This reminds of a CSS library for Python I've seen some time ago. I
> wonder how such a CSS renderer will deal with CSS hacks[1].
>
> [1] <http://cthedot.de/cssutils/>
> [2] <http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssHack
>
> Tonico

Hi!

Personally I strictly use no hacks, since most of them are meant to make
it possible to use the exact same HTML code in many situations and let
the browser handle the negociation/browser detection logic (NS4, IE,
text-based browser, hidden boxes, PDA, etc...). The idea is that if you
have several layout / page renderers then you can deal with these issues
in Zope and not in the browser - which is a cleaner approach.

/JM