[Zope3-dev] Re: Brainstorming page architecture, pagelets, portlets, etc.

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 11 09:53:42 EST 2004

Tonico Strasser wrote:

> Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
>
>> basically a layout renderer converts a tree structure in Zope into a
>> markup language (XML, HTML).
>

> Which language is used to describe the convertion of objects from the
> Zope tree to markup, can you give me an example? This sounds a little
> bit like XSLT.
>
> Tonico

you can write that in python or with page templates.

see for instance
http://cvs.nuxeo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/CPS3/CPSSkins/skins/CPSSkins/cpsskins_main_template_default.pt?rev=1.30&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

ideally it should be enough to call a layout.render() that recursively
goes through the entire tree, that when it finds a node renders some
"container" markup in the destination language (e.g. <table>, <div>,
...) and when it finds a leaf renders the object (portlet, box,
document, ...)

Unfortunately this cannot be done with ZPT macros since a macro slot is
only one side of a coin (every 'define-slot' requires a 'fill-slot').  I
see it as a huge step backwards in terms of modularity. Good for
GoLive/DreamWeaver web designers in Zope, but not for product designers.

/JM