[Zope3-dev] standalone Zope3 ZPT

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Nov 11 11:47:08 EST 2004

Let's take this step by step:

Requirements of zope.tal:
=========================

zope.i18n
---------

This dependency is due to importing the ITranslationDomain interface. We can
definitely make this a soft dependence by saying:

try:
  from zope.i18n.interfaces import ITranslationDomain
except ImportError:
  pass
else:
  classImplements(DummyTranslationDomain, ITranslationDomain)

zope.i18nmessage
----------------

It would not make sense to remove this dependence, since TAL now has the
`i18n` namespace, which cannot be decoupled. This is the price you pay for
internationalization.

zope.interface
--------------

All Zope development uses interfaces for specifications and documentation. I
would be against removing this dependency.

zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate
------------------------------

Eek, why is this here. It is used by tests/markbench; I guess we could at
least make this a soft dependency, if not remove it.

Requirements of zope.tales:
===========================

zope.interface
--------------

See above.

zope.tal
--------

This is actually already a soft dependency.

zope.testing
------------

Here we need the DocTestSuite; I guess this could be easily converted to a
softw dependency or even gotten rid off; but I am not sure.

Requirements of zope.pagetemplate:
==================================

zope.interface
--------------

See above.

That's it. In summary, we could easily get rid of:

- zope.i18n (in zope.tal)
- zope.pagetemplate (in zope.tal)
- zope.testing

So for wanting pure Page Templates, you would need:

- zope.tal
- zope.tales
- zope.pagetemplate
- zope.i18nmessage
- zope.interface

I think this is not unreasonable at all.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter