[Zope3-dev] Applying site-wide look-and-feel (Was Re: )

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Nov 11 12:34:03 EST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:24:20AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Paul Everitt wrote:
> >ZPT was built to address this role, but the advent of pluggable
> >presentation systems like CMF and Zope 3 introduced into templates lots
> >of stuff that (IMO) made templates too heavy for casual involvement by
> >the web designer.
>
> I mostly agree with this. I do think in many cases, ZPT's
> get too complicated through lack of discipline on the part of
> programmers.  In restrospect, I wish we hadn't icluded Python
> expressions in ZPT.

Not sure how relevant it is to this discussion, but...
have you looked at Nevow?
http://www.divmod.org/Home/Projects/Nevow/
(just the template language, not talking about the other
neat stuff like Stan, Formless, Webform, or LivePage.)

The template language is an attribute language but is
almost featureless compared to TAL/TALES/METAL.
E.g.

...will invoke a method of the class named render_foo(data, context).
The python class declares which template it will use, not the
other way around.

AFAICT there are only 4 attributes:
nevow:render, nevow:data, nevow:pattern, and nevow:slot,
and they only accept string identifiers as values.

I haven't played with it much and don't really grok it yet
but it has a certain minimalistic appeal.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com