[Zope3-dev] Re: Distributing Zope as a ZIP file

Peter Mayne PeterMayne at ap.spherion.com
Thu Nov 11 00:56:49 EST 2004

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to distribute the Zope files needed for an application in
>> a single ZIP file?
>>
>> I'm running into a problem with the natively compiled libraries, which
>> are assumed to reside in the nested package hierarchy. AFAIK, native
>> libraries can't live in ZIP files.
>
> If you mean PKZip, sure they can. But of course, that distribution then
> does not become portable. And if you want to run things on windows, then
> you need an installer, not just a zip-file,

Yesterday I copied a ZX3 install to a CD, carried the CD to a freshly
insalled Windows 98SE system, and successfully ran a bare-bones instance
with ZX3 and Python running from the CD, without even a suggestion of an
installation process. Today I copied (note "copied", not "installed")
the files from the CD to C: for speed, and tested it a bit further with
an application.

Who said you need an installer? :-)

PJDM
--