[Zope3-dev] Re: Brainstorming page architecture, pagelets, portlets, etc.

Janko Hauser jhauser at zscout.de
Thu Nov 11 19:23:36 EST 2004

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:

> On the contrary using the same objects in different layouts makes it
> possible to reduce memory usage since the content of the cached objects
> is the same.

Ah ok, yes, that's an advantage of caching nearly rendered parts. With
this I mean assembled bits of content, which are already in a structure
for the last rendering. This would be the approach to have a DOM-like
tree, where the page is present in some datastructure, which can then be
transformed into html or some other output format.

Although what I meant was caching in something like squid. Which is
difficult for all kinds of dynamic sites, but sometimes needed.

> It is the renderable content of the layout (the leaves) that are cached
> not the layout itself or the intermediate containers, so it is
> irrelevent which layout renderer is being used. There can be typically
> 100 objects in a portal that are cached and invalidated independently of
> the layout / page template. The layout renderer simply aggregates them
> by looking in the cache.
>
> Even the styling is separated from the content and box decorations are
> added on-the-fly so when you move a box from a part of the layout to
> another (or from a layout to another) it will get another style (colors,
> icons) and a new box decoration for the price of a single cache entry.
>
> Layouts can be selected by URL, by setting a cookie, by setting a
> session variable, or by setting attributes locally in folders. But again
> since the layout is not cached, it is not a problem. I'd like to port
> all that to Zope3 but I'll first have to learn how it works.

Is this the approach taken in CPSSkins? Will have a look at it.

Thanks for your input.

__Janko