[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3.0, and why I won't use it

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:32:10 EST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:15:38 -0500, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> I question whether developers are well served by an installer.

I wasn't trying to suggest that "installers" are the way to go.  I
think the need for a compiler for the Windows user is a problem, and a
binary installation is necessary (saying nothing of how that's
created).

I wrote:
> There's
> work needed to create an installer that can use this (perhaps packing
> up the "built" version of the software and installing it to a home
> specificed in the GUI).

Jim responded:
> This is non-trivial.  Before this happens we'll have to convince
> the docutils sig that it's a good idea. *That* may be even harder
> than the technical change.

I didn't mean that the installer that does this needs to be a standard
disutils thing.  It could be a simple Tk application that takes a
built copy of the software and some user input, and runs the "setup.py
install --skip-build" with whatever additional options make sense.

> Given how much work we put into this and how far short we ended
> up, it seems strange to talk about these issues as if they were
> minor.

The distance is partly a question of where we want to end up.  I'm not
terribly interested in ending up on Windows, so I'm happy to skip all
additional work here.  ;-)

  -Fred

Zope Corporation