[Zope3-dev] Aesthetics of generated forms

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 22:27:08 EST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:31:52 -0200, Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at awkly.org> wrote:
> Sounds good to me. zeldman.com also uses dd for some stuff like the
> sidebars and it looks like a good solution.

The markup of those sidebars strikes me as insane.  Each section is a
lists makes more sense for a sidebar like that.

The markup for the forms bugs me too, though.  It requires a lot of
CSS magic, and degrades horribly.  (I'm not sure how much I care about
the degrading personally, though; I'm happy to require Gecko-based
browsers for anything that isn't related to work.)  Using a <dl> with
<dt> for the label and <dd> for the widget probably makes a lot of
sense for auto-generated forms, since there's a limit to just how bad
it's going to degrade.  And it can be made a lot nicer than the
current float-centric layout.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation