Make check-outs more like release (Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3.0, and why ...

shane at hathawaymix.org shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Nov 22 12:52:25 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Jim Fulton wrote:

> BTW, I think we should make checkouts more like the release.
> It's a pain to give two sets of instructions.  We have to give
> 2 sets anyway, but some of the differences are gratuitous.
>
> I propose:
>
> - To rename src to lib/python in the repository
>
> - To explain that checkouts *are* different. They are like
> in-place software installs.  (Though perhaps we could have
> a working configure that can set the python used by the make
> file.)  "make" and "make install" would do the same thing,
> the later remining the user that check outs always build in
> place.
>
> - Make instances the normal usage patterns *even* for checkouts.
>
> I think that this would make it a lot easier to clean up the documentation.
>
> Thoughts? Volunteers? :)

I like the following two features of the current system:

- For testing/production, I install the Zope 3 code in Python's
   site-packages, on both Linux and Windows.  There's no reason not to, and
   this way I don't have to fiddle with PYTHONPATH in production.

- For development, I point PYTHONPATH at a Zope 3 checkout.  I can
   change Zope 3 as the need arises.

I tried the release packages, but I prefer the layout of a checkout over
the scattered code in the release packages.  From a checkout I can just
use "python setup.py install".  So I feel like the releases should look
more like a checkout.

Shane