[Zope3-dev] Re: Make check-outs more like release

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Nov 23 09:53:18 EST 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> So here comes a bit of resistence:
>
> On Monday 22 November 2004 08:52, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>- To rename src to lib/python in the repository
>

> -1. I like it to be short. Making it longer makes all paths longer. I also got
> really used to it. I think once we fix up the documentation we will be fine.
> Even with this change, we still have to explain differences. Note that the
> book will be talking about the release once I have time updating it. I think
> Jim's Programmer Tutorial could still be for the checkout, since it is
> commonly used for sprints.

That hasn't been my experience.  For better or worse, often spring
participants choose to use releases rather than checkouts, at least
early in the sprints.  This is especially true for windows users who
don't have access to compilers.  The recent news that the the free
MS compiler can be used to build extensions is potentially very good
news here.

>>- To explain that checkouts *are* different. They are like
>>   in-place software installs.  (Though perhaps we could have
>>   a working configure that can set the python used by the make
>>   file.)  "make" and "make install" would do the same thing,
>>   the later remining the user that check outs always build in
>>   place.
>

> +1.
>

>>- Make instances the normal usage patterns *even* for checkouts.
>

> -1. Though I see Tres' point, which neutralizes my negativity somewhat to
> -1/2. Afterall, I am the developer who checks in bad Makefiles all the time.
> However, it would require yet another mental step for me to remember: now I
> am in an instance, but I have to commit the installation. This seems quite
> cumbersome to me.

I don't know what you're talking about.  Using instances don't effect where
you check in zope sources.  The sources are still in theor checked out location.

>>I think that this would make it a lot easier to clean up the documentation.
>

> I think once we learn to only write about the release, the docs will not be
> much affected.

So your suggestion is to have the books talk about releases and the tutorial
talk about checkouts? That sounds confusing.

> Note: I think that slowly we are becoming hostile to developers wanting to
> contriute to Zope 3's core.

How so?

 > Our emphasis on user-firendliness definitely had
> its toll on the developers. We need to be careful to not raise the entry bar
> too high.

I don't know what you mean?