[Zope3-dev] Trouble working through Developer's Handbook.

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Oct 4 08:24:12 EDT 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 23:29, Alec Munro wrote:
> First off, I think it may be because I'm using the download install of
> SVN, but some of the paths in the developers handbook are quite
> unclear to me.
> For example, it says to install things in the "src" directory.
> Neither my install location nor my instance has a "src" directory.

Yes, the book was written for the SVN checkout version (since the distribution
did not exist). I will probably correct the book to be applicable for the
distribution before final publication.

> Also, when running the first tests on the messageboard component, I
> had to use absolute paths, which I find unusual.

Which OS? I have reports that relative paths do not work on BSD boxes for some
obscure reason.

> Any of that may relate to the problem I'm having now, but I'm not sure how.

Nope.

> Basically, I have done all the legwork creating the messageboard, and
> created "messageboard-configure.zcml", but when I start Zope (as in
> step 13.10, though I use runzope instead of makerun), I get:
>
> zope.configuration.config.ConfigurationConflictError: Conflicting
> configuration actions

Without some more of the traceback, there is no way for me to tell what
specific directive is causing the problem.

> ----Solved----
>
> It seems that since Message implements both IMessage, and
> IMessageContainer, and both of these declare a "__setitem__" method,
> it causes this error. Or at least, that was my interpretation, and
> when I commented out the "__setitem__" in IMessage, it began to work.
>
> Even solved as it is, I thought that there might be some value in
> this, and perhaps someone can shed more light on what is going on
> here.

I forgot to update this code snippet. `IMessage` should not have the
`__setitem__` method. Note that all the code for each step is available
online via http://svn.zope.org/book, so you can always check whether the
book's code snippet is correct.

Regards,
Stephan