The importance of doctests (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: First cut at PAS for Zope 3)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 5 08:30:40 EDT 2004

Max M wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>   http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/pas/README.txt?view=markup
>

> This doctest based documentation makes it really easy to follow what is
> going on.

Thanks.

I think this represents a major step forward in the Zope and Python
development process.  It's a lot of work to write clear documentation,
but I think it's worth it.  I want all new Zope 3 modules to be developed
this way.  Not only do you have a valuable artifact at the end, but doing this
excercise helps reasonong about APIs early on.

(Note that I still often prototype before writing doctests. but when I've
reached the point where, based on the prototype, I think I understand
what's going on, I start working on the doctest.  Often, the "final"
API I document in the doctest is different than the one I used when
prototyping.)