[Zope3-dev] RFC: Release cycles

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Oct 5 17:57:33 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 13:52, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> I like the idea of time-based release cycles, like Gnome has been
> keeping to for a while and Ubuntu linux is also aiming to do. Everybody
> knows the date the next release will happen on. Knowing when the release
> will happen will also affect many decisions concerning stability. You're
> not going to add a destabilizing feature if you know release is going to
> happen shortly.
>
> Gnome and Ubuntu use a half-yearly cycle, and that seems like a good
> idea for me.

I do not want to commit to set dates, unless I am sure we have the developer
base to support such a commitment. The reason X3 3.0.0 is so late is in part
due to a lack of bug fix contributions. Please don't get me wrong, I would
love fixed dates, but I just cannot see how we can realize them with the
current resources yet.

Regards,
Stephan
--