[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 a la carte

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 20:49:09 EDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:21:25 -0600, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for advice on integrating Zope 3 libraries into a current project.
> I have a new constraint I haven't had before on a Python project: once I'm
> done, the code will probably be handed to over to maintainers who currently
> know little Python.  This means I have to minimize the number of concepts I
> introduce.

Double yow!

> The project currently uses ZODB, Twisted, wxPython, SimpleTAL, and MySQL.  All
> of these are easy to explain and require little code.  I think my code is
> still under 3000 lines.  Now I need to introduce access control.  I would
> also like to use the publisher and Zope 3's implementation of page templates.

Yay!

> Can I approach Zope 3 this way?  Has anyone tried it before?  I'm thinking I'd
> like to start with one ZCML file with bare minimum configuration and a little
> code that loads that ZCML.  Then I'd like to add directives and code until I
> have only the functionality I need.

I think so.  Certainly the Zope 3 page templates have been used
separately, but I'm not sure how much had to be done.  I'm hoping to
put together a standalone package for the relevant pieces soon.

I'm not terribly happy about how many Python packages that currently
entails, though.  I don't expect to have any real time to do more than
sling a pile of code out, so I'm not sure that I'll do anything about
it just yet.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation