[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 a la carte

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Oct 7 18:40:45 EDT 2004

Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip packaging up bits and pieces of Zope 3]
> I secretly hoped that you'd say, oh, yeah, it's using this command, and
> then I'd finally learn how to do this too. ;)

> I'm interested in doing
> this to see how big Zope 3 will be with all the dependencies for Five
> being there. I suspect that the Five subset will look quite a bit like
> the one Shane wants, too.

I've done a small experiment with zpkg today, but it looks like far more
packages get included than I'd hoped for.

It seems many packages in Zope 3 don't state their dependencies. Is the
intent to add this and nobody has gotten around to do this, or is there
some other reason behind this?

There are also issues like Five using zope.app.container, say, but only
to import events and not actually any of the rest of the implementation.
In some cases I suspect that for Five to be functional actually less
dependencies would be needed than a particular package needs to fully
function.

Many packages are likely pulling in stuff from the ZODB for instance,
but a Five-subset of Zope 3 wouldn't need the ZODB at all, as Zope 2
already has one. :)

There are some strategies to cope with this, I imagine:

* in case of the ZODB one, we'd need a way to say 'well, these are the
dependencies, but for Five, this is actually not a dependency'. Perhaps
a 'global dependency exclude list' is an option.

* refactor various packages, moving stuff out of zope.app into zope. Or
at least, splitting stuff up into parts, where some part need less
dependencies than others.

* ignore the dependency mechanism in zpkg entirely and only package up
those packages explicitly listed. This is already possible, I believe?

Regards,

Martijn