[Zope3-dev] PEP 333 and Zope

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Oct 8 14:08:14 EDT 2004

This is just a little heads-up to mention that PEP 333 is approaching
finalization, and if anybody who works on the server subsystems of Zope
(e.g. ZServer, zope.server, etc.) could take a look at it, that would be good.

PEP 333 is a proposed standard for interaction between Python web
applications/frameworks and a Python web server or gateway.  The idea is
that an application or framework that is PEP 333-compliant can run in any
web server that is PEP 333-compliant.

In principle, if ZServer/zope.server and ZPublisher/zope.publisher were
modified to use a PEP 333-based interface as their communication machinery,
then ZServer would in principle be able to run any PEP 333-based
application, and Zope applications would in principle be able to run in any
PEP 333-compliant server.

I'm not asking if anybody's willing to implement such a refactoring right
now, but I would appreciate it if someone with the requisite experience can
look over the PEP to see whether there are any major issues that would
prevent such a refactoring later, so that the PEP can be revised if
needed.  The URL is:

     http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0333.html

I'm pretty sure that ZPublisher and zope.publisher can be made to implement
the "application" side interface (although zope.publisher would be easier
because it can output its status and headers separately from the
body).  I've also looked very briefly at zope.server, and I didn't see
anything obvious there that would impede implementing a "task" type to run
PEP 333 applications.

However, I'm only looking at the direct implementation issues, not
configuration issues, compatibility with other servers' threading models,
etc.  So, it would be nice if someone could read the PEP with an eye to
what I might have missed.  Thanks!