[Zope3-dev] Re: unicode problems !?

Bjorn Tillenius bjoti777 at student.liu.se
Sat Oct 9 13:19:05 EDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 11:42:53AM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Files could grow an 'encoding' attribute that is updated by the editing
> view according to the encoding of the request.
> I think text/* files should still be editable; we should fix up the
> Bytes widget.

Yes, adding an 'encoding' attribute is one option. Although I don't
understand what you mean by that it should be updated by the editing
view according to to request.

Often when users upload files, the files will be encoded in an encoding
different from UTF-8. But the encoding derived from the request will
most often be UTF-8. So instead, when a user upload a text file, he must
also specify which encoding it's in. Of course, he might manually choose
in the edit view to use an another encoding, which might lead to the
whole file being re-encoded. So, the 'encoding' attribute should be
editable, but I can't see how it would be updated by the editing view.

The File must also use its 'encoding' attribute to set the encoding of
the response.

Regards,

Bjorn