[Zope3-dev] Re: Apache rewrite rules and URLs: an experiment

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 27 10:31:03 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:10:39PM +1000, Peter Mayne wrote:
| Stephan Richter wrote:
| >What about using:
| ><a tal:attributes="href context/@@/z3logo.gif">
| >
| >I think this is the recommended way; will it do the right thing?
|
| Nice one, Centurion. Like it. :-) There is a difference, though: this
| produces a URL that includes the http://host/, whereas the others only
| produce a /path URL. Personally I prefer just the /path, but I can't
| think of a technical reason why just at the moment. :-/ Anyone? Bueller?

I think a computed absolute URL is fine.  It is hard-coded absolute
URLs that are likely to cause headaches.  Zope2 always puts an
absolute URL in generated pages, which is why the virtual hosting
traversal hook is needed so that the correct base URL is computed.

Thank you for figuring out how to make this work!  I have a site with
a skin that I couldn't manage to publish behind apache (using
proxypass) because it had trouble combining the virtual host and the
skin in the URL.  Now I'll have to go back and review everything and
see if this works forme :-).

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein