[Zope3-dev] Re: Apache rewrite rules and URLs: an experiment

Peter Mayne PeterMayne at ap.spherion.com
Wed Oct 27 22:06:43 EDT 2004

Derrick Hudson wrote:
> I have a site with
> a skin that I couldn't manage to publish behind apache (using
> proxypass) because it had trouble combining the virtual host and the
> skin in the URL.  Now I'll have to go back and review everything and
> see if this works forme :-).

The example in the book is skinless, which I suspect won't be the case
for many sites. I think adding an example that includes a skin, and has
some explanation about how to write URLs, would be useful.

I still prefer the resulting URLs to be relative, rather than having
http://host/ at the front, because the browser already knows what the
host is, so repeating it is just redundant. However, I think that's a
hangover from the days of making sure that the host wasn't hardcoded in,
so moving from dev -> test -> prod wouldn't break. Since context/@@
seems to be the Zopeish thing to do, I'll just go with that.

I just thought of a reason for using relative links: if I download a set
of pages to read them at home (the online Plone book, for instance),
relative links will work on disk, whereas http://host links won't.

Would I be unreasonable if I wanted an equivalent of context/@@ that
produced relative links? :-)

PJDM