[Zope3-dev] Some Z3 thoughts

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Oct 29 11:38:56 EDT 2004

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> This is just some random thoughts I collected when finally taking a
> *serious* look at Zope3 earlier this week. First of all: Good work, I
> like it.

Great

> If I have missed something or is just being stupid, plese tell me. ;)
>
> ---------
>
> Possible Z3 bugs:
>
>   - The first action link disapperas in default skin if the action
>     list is to long to fit on the screen.

Yup.  I sure wish some more UI folks would get involved.

>   - When trying to look at some interfaces:
>     Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 35, in __get__
>     parent._cook_check() you get an error:
>     AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '_cook_check'

I don't understand this. What were you doing?

>   - Views registered with zope.Public doesn't show up. Any other
>     permission (Zope.View for example) works.

Hm. That's odd and bad.

It would be good to submit issues for all of these:

http://collector.zope.org/Zope3-dev

> Inconstistencies:
>
>   - ContainerTypesCONSTRAINT / ItemTypePRECONDITION ???
>     They do the same thing!

No, they don't.  They are both about constaining the containment relationship,
from different ends.

> Wouldn't it be nice:
>
>   - Wouldn't it be nice to at least recommend a place for third-party
>     packages? Otherwise things are gonna get SERIOUSLY messy.

Not sure what you mean.  Are you talking about places in an installation,
or in the repository?

>   - Wouldn't it be nice to be able to specify more than one interface in
>     a for="blabla.Interface" specification in zcml? Or maybe that is
>     really unusual (even though it happens in the MessageBoard example).

You can, but it probably means something else than you intend.

One problem we have is that, in many places, we mix definition and
configuration.  For example, in a page definition, we define a component,
and we say how to do it.  I'd like to have a way to separate these, so
you can, for example, define a page once and register it as many times
as you need.

>   - Wouldn't it be nice to have the docs online too, so I don't have to
>     start a local Zope3 server just to get to the ZCML reference? ;)

Sure, with tha caveat that much of the interesting information, like
what adapters are available, is installation specific.