[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Developer's Book 1.0 beta 1

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 1 12:20:55 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Saturday 28 August 2004 11:51, Andrew Veitch wrote:
>
>>Chapter 6 talks about pyskel.py in a utilities directory - this isn't
>>included in the standard Zope X3 tarball but is only available if you
>>check it out through SVN. I don't know if this is a problem with the
>>book or a problem with Zope X3 packaging. It probably would be useful
>>to include it in the standard install as not everyone has easy access
>>to subversion.
>
> Yes, it should be included as a utility. Fred, could you please make sure it
> is packaged?

Fred, Jim and I had this discussion a month or so ago. I wanted to get
most of the utilities/* files into bin/* and zopeskel/bin/* so that
they'd be installed with an instance.

Jim rejected my issue because he thinks it's not a #1 priority. I
disagree but I didn't feel like making a big deal out of it (we have
more important things to do for X3.0 final).

>>Chapter 13 mentions a ZOPE3/src directory in the Zope 3 root. Again, I
>>don't have this. I think it should be lib/python?
>
> Yeah, the book was written for the SVN checkout, not the release. I am not
> sure what to do about that though. Does anyone have an idea?

I think, even when writing a "Developer Handbook", it's a good idea to
write against a packaged installation. I mean, after all, you're writing
against a released version of X3.0 anyway.

I know for us it is perfectly normal to just grab the latest SVN and
develop our stuff with it. But picture yourself as a developer entering
a new technology that you want to try out. You are most likely going to
use the a stable release tarball, aren't you? (I know I always do unless
I really have to get the CVS/svn).

As for the utility scripts, I'm going to need them as well as you, so
I'd say we put our efforts together and either get them into the X3.0
final distribution or we just make a tarball of 'em when X3.0 gets
released and put that in a reasonable place for download.

Philipp