[Zope3-dev] IsarSprint topics - Zope 3 application components

Helmut Merz helmutm at cy55.de
Wed Sep 8 02:47:08 EDT 2004

Hi,

as the next Zope 3 sprint is coming closer
(http://isarsprint.org, just 4 weeks left) I'd like to
start planning the sprint tasks.

The detailed sprint planning will of course move to the
IsarSprint mailig list, but for now it would be fine to get
as much input as possible on the things to be done from all
of you. And you still can join us...

I've set up a wiki page (http://isarsprint.org/topics -
that's just a shortcut to
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/IsarSprintTopics)
with a list of ideas collected during the last few months -
uncommented, just for brainstorming.

The basic goal for the sprint is to provide a set of
"application components" that would help us to employ
Zope 3 in real-world (possibly customer-paid ;-)) projects.

This may also mean to complete or extend the set of Zope 3
"core" components as far as they are needed for the
application systems - that's what I've listed under "Basic
components":
- Principal sources, esp. LDAP
- WebDAV
- CookieAuthentication
- Sessions
- Reference Engine (this is my personal favorite here)
- SOAP

Then there is a list of components that could be directly
employed in application systems like:
- User/member management
- Search forms
- Mailing list manager

And last I collected a set of real application systems - I
don't think that we would "complete" one of these but we
should at least start developing components needed by one
or the other of these:
- Web CMS - hopefully we get some input from the
  CastleSprint2 about this topic
(http://plone.org/events/conferences/2/CastleSprint2)
- My personal project: LOOPS (Linked Objects for
  Organizational Process Services), a task (project, issue,
  ...) and resource management framework
- Also from my work: A learning management system
- PetStore or some other kind of "blueprint application"
  e.g. for marketing purposes or as a starting point for
  development

In the first line I'd just collect more ideas of this kind,
and then we'll boil this down to something that can be done
in one sprinting week, with respect to the interests and
abilities of the sprinters ...

I'm not sure if one or the other of these things isn't
already done - at least I did not recognize it. (There is
also a list of sprinting tasks, but this seems somewhat
outdated,
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/PossibleSprintTasks)

If you're interested in this work - even if you won't attend
the sprint - please subscribe to the IsarSprint mailing
list; just send a mail with subject subscribe to
zope3 at isarsprint.org. If you want to attend the sprint
please add your name to the participants list on the
IsarSprint wiki page. (More organizational infos on the
sprint will come soon on the IsarSprint mailing list and in
the wiki.)

It's your turn now...

Helmut