[Zope3-dev] Re: Make message ids into "rocks", was Re: Re: SVN: Zope3/trunk/src/zope/ Internationalized apidoc modules description.

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Sep 8 14:00:09 EDT 2004

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

> I am going to the Plone mountain sprint before the Vienna conference.
>
> One of the tasks I had set on my plate was integration of the Z3 message
> ids in Plone code. I have followed this thread with interest.

Great! I really hope that Zope 3's message catalogues and Plone's PTS
can come closer, too. For example, PTS could adopt the utility approach
whereas Zope 3's i18n definitely needs the new awesome RTL support!

> I'd really like to check if there will be any interface changes to
> message ids (I hope not) or if the proposal is about internal
> implementation only.

Yes, there will be interface changes, and quite dramatical, so to say,
because message ids will be rocks. That means the new message id
implementation will differ semantically. This, no doubt, brings backward
compatability issues along.

> In case any implementation would been made before the sprint, I'd be
> able to be one of the first beta testers ;-)

Sorry, I tried to come up with a C implementation but my lack of
experience in this matter made it take to long. So, I'll be looking over
Jim's shoulder in Goldegg.

I'll be writing a proposal soon (I expect over the weekend) which will
include the new interface and cope with backward compatability issues as
much as possible. The proposal will also be a doctest for the new
implementation. So, even if we won't have an implementation ready, maybe
you can give the proposal/doctest a read...

Philipp