AW: [Zope3-dev] A possible component architecture interpretationofworkflow

dev at projekt01.ch dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Sep 16 20:14:44 EDT 2004

Garrett Smith wrote:
> An: jim at zope.com; zope3-dev at zope.org
> Betreff: RE: [Zope3-dev] A possible component architecture
> interpretationofworkflow
>

> I wish I could provide more systematic feedback (much to take
> in) -- comments below are sporadic, where thoughts occur to me.
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> > Here is a longish collection of thoughts on workflow that I've been
> > working on for a while.  I'd like to get some feedback on
> them, before
> > I pursue prototypes and, eventually a proposal.
> >      The most common sort of user event is someone
> submitting a form.
> >      Perhaps browser view directives (view, page, pages,
> xxxform, ...)
> >      will grow button directives::
> >
> >         <page
> >            name="foo.html"
> >            />
> >
> >            <button name="update"
> >                    event=".FooUpdate"
> >                    subscriber=".myupdatehandler"
> >                    />
> >
> >            <on event="zope.app.form.browser.Updated"
> >                redirect_to="index.html" />
> >         </page>
>
> This looks pretty cool. It would be nice to support form
> methods to handle button events. E.g.
>
>   class MyForm(SomeBaseInputForm):
>       def onUpdate(self, event):
>           self.update()
>           notify(Updated(self))
>
>   <page name="foo.html" class=".MyForm" ...>
>
>       <button name="update"
>           handler="onUpdate" />
>
>       <on event="zope.app.form.browser.Canceled
>                        zope.app.form.browser.Updated"
>           redirect_to="index.html" />
>
>   </page>
>
> Very minor points:
>
> - I use 'handler' since it's not really a subscriber.

So far I'm understand are handler a good name. Then they
reflect the <input type="submit"> button.
And this are action handler of a form.

> - A form update is so common, it would be somthing provided
> in a base class.
>
> - Multiple events are handled in a single redirect.

[...]

> Overall, a huge post ;-) I'm far from getting my head around
> this, but no doubt the prototyping stage will be fruitful. It
> would be nice to recruit some workflow gurus for feedback
> along the way. Wish I knew some
> :-)
>
>  --Garrett

It sounds like the MVC (2) pattern
with:
Model, View, Controller which are driven
by Actions and ActionHandler.

If I understand the workflow concept right, ther will be a way to
controll the UI flow (view to form to view to etc) by the workflow.
Like a wizard which is controlling what's next.

Is there a centralized controller which is responsible for the
configuration of some views? I mean a python view class could have
some different pages. Is there a way for to configure this python
view class or do we have to configure each page itself.

I half year ago I was implenting a MVC 2 pattern. The main idea
was to place a Controller instance befor a view instance call.
The implementation was very poor, but that was a nice playground
for to see what possible if we get more cenntralized controll
in a site and can easy controll the UI.

Roger Ineichen
Projekt01 GmbH