[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Sun Sep 19 05:23:45 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

<snip>

>> Anyway, in the first case, the developer made his part of the job
>> correctly : he said that this value should be translated.
>

> No, where did he?

In the Python code when he used a MessageID and not a string.

>> So we think that even if the template is badly written, the message id
>> should be translated.
>

> I disagree. There was no markup whatsoever that told ZPT to translate.

I think you do not know that there is no need for explicit use of
i18n:translate when rendering a MessageID. The interpreter finds out by
itself and translate.

This let each member of the team manage his part of the job : python
coders take care of strings that should be translated by using MessageID
and template designers take of their strings by inserting i18n namespace
where needed.

With the current implementation, the template designer does not need to
know if what he'll get from the python code needs to be translated or
not : which is good imho.

> Philipp

Cheers,

Godefroid