[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Fri Sep 24 07:42:36 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

>> But I really want the current comportment of implicitely translating
>> messageids coming back from the Python code to stay as it is.
>

> Why? What benefit does this serve, except to confuse?  I'm not necessarily
> in a hurry to fix this.  I plan to talk to Fred to see if he knows of a
> reason why this is being done.
>
> Jim

The follow-ups on this thread make me feel that some explanation might
be needed.

I have (almost ;-) no problems with the fact that the patch gets refused.

OTOH, I'd rather be disappointed if the current comportment gets cancelled.

This comportment being:

In this case, the output of the tal:content will be translated even
though there is no i18n:translate attribute.

If you take thr POV of a team building software, I think it really makes
sense that both type of actors have the responsibility of marking what
needs to be translated.

I understand what you mean by saying that message ids should comport as
much as possible as strings. But I think that a message id is meant to
mark translation as it states things like the domain and the default
string. IOW, it is normal to me that it has a different comportment in
case of translation.

I would like to remind that if the site manager does not setup any
language, the default string will be output : this avoids any surprises
like german in the middle of english.

This maybe leads to this question : is Z3 currently implicitely
multilingual ? IOW, is there any place where the site manager can
explicitely switch languages on ?
--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha)                http://bubblenet.be