[Zope3-dev] Vocabulariy issues

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Mon Sep 27 17:39:05 EDT 2004

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:49:05 -0400, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>> It seems that ISourceQueryView is UI for a specific
>>> IInputWidget that is displayed as a separate dialog. This is
>>> similar to, e.g., a date/time widget that provides a separate
>>> dialog for navigating a calendar UI. Any input widget that provides
>>> a UI that has its own request/response support would fall into this
>>> category.
>>
>> Sure
>
> Jim,
>
> How are you going from an ISource to an ISourceQueryView?  The
> vocabulary framework has a specific hook (getQuery) to allow different
> kinds of query views to be used in conjunction with a single type of
> vocabulary.
>
> This could be done using specialized source interfaces that are mostly
> markers, but that doesn't seem like an improvement so much as just a
> different way to do things.  It feels more like a constraint on the
> way code is written than anything else.
>
> [Garrett]
>>> I'd like to see the widget framework enhanced for this sort of
>>> thing. The typical scenario would look something like this: ...
>>> This scenario would be different if the dialog is displayed in a
>>> separate window or an iframe (probably the more common use case for
>>> modern UIs). E.g., step 3 would not be necessary and their would be
>>> some browser scripting involved.
>
> These don't feel good.  I wouldn't describe we do now as either of
> these.

I agree -- it would be more client scripting than the current zope
interfaces use. This is, IMO, the biggest problem with web interfaces
for mainstream applications -- the lack of true modal dialog support.

I agree with Jim that we can wait on tackling this problem, especially
since his needs are specific and can be handled with a first pass
implementation.

 --Garrett