[Zope3-dev] Release for Views As Adapters

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Sep 28 09:03:51 EDT 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 18:20, dev at projekt01.ch wrote:
> Perhaps we can discuss some of this questions on the IsarSprint:

I really hate discussions like this at sprints, because they shut out the
community members that are not at the sprint. To avoid this shut out, the
discussing parties at least have to (1) commit to not make a final decision
and (2) create a very detailed Zope3-Dev post about the discussion.

> - How can developer see what's comming in a new release?

There are several ways to stay updated.

1. Read the CHANGES.txt file.

2. Read the TODO.txt file to see what is planned for the next release
(currently it is empty, since we have not decided on a 3.1 feature set).

3. Read the proposals online. They are also good as some initial documentation
purpose.

4. Keep an eye on the Zope3-Dev Mailing list, so you always know what's being
discussed and why something takes the direction it does.

> - Can we provide a future Alpha package of the next release
>   for to develope with?

I agree with Jim, it is too early for an alpha. There are some really big
changes coming, such as switching to interface- and subscriber-based
workflows (which will change the way we will think about UIs) and some CA
work (like thinking about a single component registry -- yes Jim, I would
love to discuss this with you and maybe even get working on it ;-)

> - What's the criterions for to release a package. Specially
>   if developer use the trunk as a kind of collector for usefull
>   packages?

The trunk should not be used as a collector for packages that are supposed to
be compatible with the releases. One major mistake we did for the X3.0 branch
was that we removed all packages that are not part of the release, which
makes it hard to release branch-compatible packages separately, such as ZWiki
or the Bug Tracker application. So we will have to use separate branches for
them. Phillip and I are planning to release the following packages for Zope
X3.0: zope.app.workflow, zwiki, bugtracker, and psycopgda.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter