[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Tue Sep 28 09:38:05 EDT 2004

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
<snip>

> I can understand this : while discussing with Stephan on IRC, I did not
> know if I was really for the inclusion of this patch.
>
> But I really want the current comportment of implicitely translating
> messageids coming back from the Python code to stay as it is.

I think I am using the wrong phrasing here.

I think both the situation you describe as buggy and the situation you
ask for can be spoken as being implicit (though I think using a msgid in
the Python code is explicit enough):

with the following code,

self.msgid=Message("msgid", domain="another", default="the text to
translate")

text</p>

the translation of the msgid will *implicitely* happen from the
"another" domain.

Is that implicit ? from the POV of the template designer, yes ! From the
POV of the python coder, no !

IOW, I mean that the implicit vs explicit wording is the wrong discussion.

I think we can go on and on arguing about this as long as we do not
agree on the development use cases we mean to cover with msgids.

I want the message ids to support the translation process : helping both
the developer and the designer to cope with their responsibility.

Can you explain what they are for you in the development process ?
Saying that they should behave as string does not convince me : why
would I store a domain and a default value on a string if it is not
translation oriented ?

--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha)                http://bubblenet.be