[Zope3-dev] Re: Use case not covered for translation of message ids

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Sep 29 10:56:16 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 September 2004 06:25, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>>As we want to use tools to produce the .po file, we need to mark those
>>>strings.
>>
>>This is another source of potential trouble. If you allow a message id
>>to be assigned both in ZPT and in Python code for the same piece of
>>text, we could potentially get pretty confusing .po files, where some
>>message ids actually turn out never to be in use.. Any ideas on how to
>>handle this?
>
> This has not happened in all of Zope 3 so far. In fact, I cannot even think
> about a sensible use-case where it would happen. You have to try pretty hard
> to make cause this problem.

I don't understand why you'd need to try hard. You just need an
i18n:translate attribute with message id in a page template and it
calling some method which returns an i18n string which already has a
message id associated to it, right? One of them would not be used (or in
case of the i18n string, at least not used *in that ZPT*) but clogging
up the .po file.

Regards,

Martijn