AW: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Release cycles

dev at projekt01.ch dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Sep 30 09:28:01 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Betreff: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Release cycles
>

> Hi all,
>
> the recent discussion about future Zope3 releases worries me.
> Here's an
> informal proposal for settling this:

[...]
> Advantages
>
>  - shorter release cycles
>
>  - new features appear in releases quicker
>
>  - contributors get to use features that they implemented earlier

Or they will implement it in their own repository ;-(

[...]
> Those who are involved into Plone I'd like to remind about
> the 2.0 release.
> Initially a 1.1 release was planned after 2.0. It provided a
> relatively small
> set of improvements. Before someone could put his foot down,
> lots of stuff was
> checked in and 1.1 started to blow up. Initially a 1.1
> release was planned for
> September 2003; 6 months later, in March 2004, it was
> released, but as 2.0
> because of the many additions. Many people who based their
> business on Plone
> and needed something like 1.1 in late 2003 (including me)
> critized the release
> management. Everyone learned their lesson and Plone now has
> an official release
> manager.

That was one of the reason why we quit working with plone.
I was to critical for our company to build our business
on this situation. (was, but now it seams to be better)

[...]

> Looking forward to your comments,
>
> Philipp

1+
Thanks for to take a look into my brain.
That's exactly what I was thinking about.

I think this is a important part for developers which work
with the zope3 application server. And I'm shure if we
have a shorter releases we get more contributers in
the future.

Regards
Roger