[Zope3-dev] IFileSystem questions. XXX comments to clean up.

Steve Alexander steve at canonical.com
Thu Sep 30 12:48:02 EDT 2004

I have just checked in some XXX comments into IFileSystem from

   zope/server/interfaces/ftp.py

These comments are for parts of the interface that I feel are
underspecified.  I do not know what the correct specification for these
things is.

1. Why should an IFileSystem not store any state.  (From the interfaces'
docstring)

         Note that a file system should not store any state.
        (XXX: Please explain why not.)

2. in mtime(path)

         XXX: what about if there is no file at `path`?

3. in size(path)

         XXX: what about if there is no file at `path`?

4. in mkdir(path)

         XXX: what to do if it is not possible, or not allowed?

5. in remove(path)

         XXX: What to do if removal is not possible, or not allowed?

6. in rmdir(path)

         XXX: What to do if removal is not possible, or not allowed?

I would think that the correct behaviour of the operation rename(old,
new) can be derived for the behaviour from a read, then a remove, then a
write.

--
Steve Alexander