[Zope3-dev] set_trace in ZODB

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Apr 3 13:41:30 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Jim]

> [Tim]
>
>>>Same as changes to any other project you don't normally work on:
>>>submit a bug/patch to the collector, and/or raise a stink about it on
>>>that project's mailing list.  IOW, if you don't know how to fix a
>>>thing, don't guess -- report it to someone who does.
>

> [Jim]
>
>>Oh come on. Do you really want to be the only one who checks in
>>ZODB fixes?
>

> No, but l'm sick of endlessly searching for, and merging, ZODB fixes I
> didn't even know about, checked in from wrong projects.  I would love
> for more people to check in ZODB fixes _to_ ZODB.  Then the problems
> are truly fixed, instead of kicking off waves of extra work that I in
> fact am the only one who has ever done.

Fair enough.  It shouldn't have been your responsibility to take
case of Z2 or Z3 uses of ZODB. For example, I should have fed back
ZODB changes in an orderly way and been responsible for updating Z3
to use newer ZODBs.

>>If some project has serious breakage it will often be unacceptable
>>to wait for a fix.
>

> I have a hard time buying "often" there, since I can't recall an
> example of this in recent memory.

Possible the reason is that we have been insulated from this problem
by using copies.

>>Of course, if some project you don't know about follows the same strategy,
>>you won't know to run their tests.
>

> That's one of the tradeoffs someone running a project is supposed to
> make according to their judgment.  My recommendation for Zope2 follows
> specifically from that Zope-2_7-branch has been using "current
> development ZODB 3.2" for at least a year, and no problems have been
> caused by that.  Since nobody else in Zope2-land takes any
> responsibility for the version of ZODB Zope2 uses, I apply my best
> judgment there -- my choice, my work, my problems.
>
> If you want something different in Zope3-land, fine by me, but I just
> hope it's backed by a plan for someone other than me to do the work
> involved.

I'm willing to continue with the current experiment for now.
I think it's telling that we already have an issue, admittedly a
small one, with the new scheme.

It was a mistake to saddle you with maintaining Zope3's usage of ZODB.