[Zope3-dev] Vocabularies, sources and relationships

Santi Camps scamps at earcon.com
Wed Apr 6 04:57:13 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm just beginning to study Zope 3 (helped by the magnificent Philipp
von Weitershausen's book).   I'm specially interested in the schema
framework, and how it can be used to implement relationships between
objects (if it can be used that way).

I know that are proposals to replace vocabularies by sources, as
described in the thread:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2004-September/012096.html

My doubs are:

1) Are sources already implemented ?  If not, it will be ?

2) In any case, are sources/vocabularies a good way to implement
relationships between objects ?   I think an implementation of ISource
and ITerm/s and so on could be writted providing values obtained from
other objects, but I'm not sure what could happen with this relationship
after created.   For instance, if the referenced object is deleted after
that.    Is there any utilities in Zope 3 to take care about referential
integrity between objects ?

In Zope 2, I've added some Foreign Key capabilities to Z Catalogs, using
one catalog per meta_type and overriding manage_beforeDelete and so on.
So, for instance, a customer can't be deleted if it has some referencing
invoice.  I just one to know if there are better ways to obtain the same
result in Zope 3.

Thanks in advance

Santi Camps