[Zope3-dev] Form framework, adapters and pau

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 8 07:46:47 EDT 2005

Dominik Huber wrote:

>> I try to collect + and -:
>>
>> location helper function:
>> + Performance: We don't have to build location proxies all the time
>> + Explicitness: Excplicit in relation to the location issue after
>> adaption
>> 0 Developer: Have to be aware of the location issue
>>
>> assert a location to all trusted adapters:
>> 0 Performace: Ok because only the trusted adapters are affected
>> - Explicitness: Implicit in relation to the location issue after adaption

This doesn't make any sense to me.

If a programmers uses the trusted adapter facility, they do so exlicitly.
The trusted adapter facility is documented to provide location.

>> 0 Developer: Have to be aware of the location issue

That's fine, because they are aware that they are using trusted adapters
and the trusted adapter factory is documented to provide location.

> assert a location to all adapters:
> - Performance: Diffinitaly an overhead
> + Explicitness: Excplicit in relation to the location issue after adaption

No, this is very implicit.  It messes with *all* adapters, which is
way too intrusive.

Keep in mind too that proxies suck.  They are deep magic, like metaclasses.
Like metaclasses, they provide a powerful tool to solve extra hard problems,
but they should be used sparingly.