[Zope3-dev] FTP Authentication

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 18 08:42:56 EDT 2005

Michael Kerrin wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 10:39, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>This is simply a result of the fact that no one has written a credentials-
>>extraction plugin for FTP yet.
>

> I wouldn't mind writing a credentials-extraction plugin for FTP which isn't
> that hard. But what I am confused about is the through the web configuration
> of the credentials plugins.
>
> How do I specify that an credentials-extraction plugin is for the FTP protocol
> and not for HTTP.

You can't, other than including a clue in the name you register it with.

This design represents a tradeoff.  It is important (so I'm told ;) to
be able to have multiple extraction plugins of the same type that are
ordered.  If it wasn't for the ordering requirement, we'd just use
adapters, which would be a bit simpler.  If we stick with the ordering
requirement, then I think trying to provide a UI that allowed control
of ordering by type would be too confusing.

(I'm sorely tempted to make an adapter-based credential plugin and make it
  the default.  It would simply adapt the request, largely avoiding the
  plugin mechanism.  Then people could use a different plugin if they wanted
  finer control.)

> Because the authenticate method loops through all the configured credentials
> plugins and calls the extractCredentials(request) method. Which is the method
> that throws the exceptions I mentioned in my previous email and hence my FTP
> plugin doesn't get called.

Ah, I missed the bit about the exception. That's a bug in the session
plugin. If an extractor can't extract, it should return None.  It
should be simple to repair the session extractor. Are you a contributor? :)