[Zope3-dev] Suspected bug in package mysqldbda-1.0.0.tgz for Zope 3

Andy Dustman farcepest at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:05:56 EDT 2005

On 4/16/05, hoon kim <kimhoon08 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie and just installed the zope3 package on windows. I'm writing
> because i believe there is a bug in the mysqlda adaptor add-in package.
>
> My configuration is as follows:
> * OS = Windows XP Professional SP2
> * Python Version = Python-2.3.5.exe
> * Zope Version = ZopeX3-3.0.0.win32-py2.3.exe
> * MySQL-Python adaptor = MySQL-python.exe-1.0.0.win32-my4.1-py2.3.exe
> * Zope MySQL Package = mysqldbda-1.0.0.tgz
> * MySQL Version =  mysql-4.1.10-win32.zip

I advise against using MySQL-python-1.0.0; use 1.2.0 instead.

> I followed the installation instructions but when i tried to test the db
> connection through the web interface of zope 3, the following error was
> returned:
>
> unknown encoding: latin1_swedish_ci

There are probably two issues here. One is that MySQL's API function
that returns the character set actually returns the collation. I've
previously reported this as a bug, but it may be intentional; I need
to check the status of this. The other is that the default character
set for the MySQL server is latin1_swedish (with latin1_swedish_ci
collation). I expect that this is probably not what you want. If you
have administrative control over the server, configure it to use the
character set you want; I recommend utf8.

--
Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.
http://www.terrybisson.com/meat.html