[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope3-dev Digest, Vol 21, Issue 29

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Apr 19 11:05:49 EDT 2005

Michel Pelletier wrote:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I've just checked in a new package into the Zope 3 base called Clarity.
>>What it does is integrate ClearSilver templating into Zope 3 (trunk,
>>though I expect Zope X3.0 or even Five support should be easy enough).
>>It's all still rough, but initial tests show ClearSilver templates can
>>be quite a bit faster than ZPT, and they have other possible benefits.
>>In my simplistic experiments I got transaction rates about 2 to 5 times
>>higher than you can reach with ZPT, testing this with the 'siege' utility.
>

> Very interesting, but the template syntax is hideous. :) Do you think
> it's possible that there can be some kind of 'Clairity' mode for ZPT,
> stripped of security and anything but path expressions (or even simpler,
> hardwired syntax), applied solely to a Clairty style object that the
> template data is abstracted from? This would fuse the benefits of
> Clairty (you outlined) with ZPT (good mockups, well-formedness, etc)

If someone pays me to do it, I can even accellerate ZPT itself. :)

This is just an experiment. I since followed it up with another
experiment, since I anticipated people complaining about the syntax. I
blogged about here:

http://faassen.n--tree.net/blog/view/weblog/2005/04/16/0

I don't mind the syntax that much myself, as the important part is the
ClearSilver expression syntax is extremely and deliberately limited.

I got stuck on the XSLT to implement this; it's a bit too limited for
this kind of transformation task (though theoretically everything's
possible in it, it'd get too hairy). If I find some time, I might do
another experiment implementing a Clarity frontend for ClearSilver in
Python.

Regards,

Martijn