[Zope3-dev] release numbering

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 11:24:16 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Something you and Chris do not address is how to call the version of Zope 3
> that will not have Zope 2 support.

I believe this is called Zope 2.x + Five ;-)

Seriously, I don't personally believe anything more than Five is needed,
and therefore will emerge, to get "Zope 2 support in Zope 3", even
though what's actually emerged is "Zope 3 support in Zope 2", which is
probably the right way round...

> I, for one, and probably many others still
> want to have *pure* Zope 3 releases without Zope 2 mixed in. So for that time
> period (until Zope 2 coded is gone) we need two names for Zope 3 anyways.
> Maybe the "X" will eventually evolve to represent "pure" (like "X - no Zope 2
> here"). :-)

Okay, to sum up:

Zope 2.8+ = "Zope 3 with Zope 2 support"
Zope 3.x = "Pure Zope 3"
Zope 4.x = "Zope 3 with no more need for Zope 2 support"

Even if the last one never materialises, I think it's safe to say we can
ditch the X now ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk