[Zope3-dev] Release numbering

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 20 11:38:08 EDT 2005

I was hoping to stay out of this discussion, but ...

1. There will be many more releases of Zope 2, including
    2-digit releases like 2.10, 2.11, etc.

2. The X in Zope 3X means that there is not yet support for
    Zope 2 transition.  It's about setting expectations.

    I'm OK with dropping the X is someone else wants to manage
    this communication another way, but I'd rather not drop it.

    When we do finally have a story for transitioning Zope 2
    apps to Zope 3:

    a) we will not renumber

    b) We don't know the nature of that transition support, so
       we should not worry now about whether it will clutter
       anything.

3. If I have anything to say about it, there will never be a Zope 4. :)

4. I'm OK with dropping the extra 3 in the release names.  IMO
    either Zope X3.1.0 or Zope 3.0.1 are fine.