[Zope3-dev] Building standalone ZPT from Zope 3 using zpkgtools

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Apr 22 08:22:13 EDT 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 18:34, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I'm sure Fred is doing excellent work, but I'm having trouble seeing why
> we need zpkgtools.  Is it not sufficient to just "python setup.py
> install" all of Zope 3?  I've been doing that with Zope 3 Subversion
> checkouts and Twisted, even though I actually use less than 10% of the
> code installed.  In fact, my co-workers are about to put such a system
> into production.  The unused code causes no problems that I've detected.

I think of zpkgtools as a prototype for extensions that are necessary for
distutils. We are playing very nicely with all existing tools covering our
use cases. One of the big use cases is that we want to make multiple
different releases from the code base, such as ZPT, Zope X3, ZWiki, and maybe
even Zope X3 extended. People have complained multiple times about
downloading monolithic packages just to use one feature.

Also note that Zope X3 is an application and as such it must manage files
other than Python source code. For example, the ZCML hookup files must be
placed in the right directory, etc...

Overall, I think that zpkgtools is very successful. And it is not
Zope-specific! Twisted could use it too.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter