[Zope3-dev] Re: Building standalone ZPT from Zope 3 using zpkgtools

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Apr 22 08:59:58 EDT 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 23:16, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
> > It sounds like you are using Zope3 as libraries, which is the
> > traditional "sweet spot" for distutis;  zpkgutils is really aimed at the
> > kind of usage where distutils sucks^H^H^H^H^Hfails to meet expectations,
> > which is to allow installation of a Python-base *application*, including
> > related "add-on" packages.
>
> Ok, that makes sense.  Still, if the application is large enough, I'd
> prefer to bundle Python with it, making distutils useful even for
> applications.

Now you go down a slippery road. If we distribute Python with Zope 3, then
whenever a minor Python version is released, we have to release Zope 3 again.
This is especially true for security fixes. Honestly, we do not have the
man-power to do that. If Python is separate, I just go to my package update
tool, update Python and I am all set.

Regards,
Stephan
--