[Zope3-dev] Building standalone ZPT from Zope 3 using zpkgtools

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Apr 22 10:18:18 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
[snip]

 > I think of zpkgtools as a prototype for extensions that are necessary
 > for distutils.

Is it the Zope project's job to extend distutils, though? I mean,
developing something new is nice, but there's a lot of a new stuff on
our plate already, isn't there?

> Overall, I think that zpkgtools is very successful. And it is not
> Zope-specific! Twisted could use it too.

It's Zope specific as only the Zope projects are using it, as far as I
am aware. Lots of people could use it, but I'm worried that without
significant effort to promote and adjust this, it won't happen.

I mean, Twisted could use ZCML too, but they're not, and I doubt they're
likely to, and they're the most likely project to use ZCML of them all,
as they use zope.interface already. Granted zpkgtools is easier to
distribute independently, but then again, for distributing ZCML we have
zpktgtools. :)

Perhaps I'm wrong and zpkgtools takes time out of our hands overall
already, including maintenance and learning curve.

Regards,

Martijn